Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Part two to yesterday's post

So yesterday I explained that I am blending alpaca and bfl hand painted wool to make a 3 ply (the process I am using this te is called Navajo plying), colourful skein for making mittens. I am doing this with hand carders, spinning with a drop spindle, and plying with a larger drop spindle. Last night I took some photos of the blending
This is what the bfl looks like after I put it in the cards and add in some of the alpaca. I am not using a lot, because the wool is hand painted and I want to keep the progression of colour relatively intact. Otherwise, what is the point of getting a hand painted roving?  
Here is that same bit after 3 passes of the handcarders. As I comtinue to blend you will see that I have to keep the rolags in order off the cards. 
When I spin these I will get long colour progressions, which is perfect because I will be Navajo plying the singles when I am done. This means that instead of using 3 separate singles and plying those together, I basically make looooong loops like crochet, ply and repeat, with only one single. This is what the yarn is looking like   
This one should be done today. I'll keep you updated. 




No comments:

Post a Comment