Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

This and that blending

I am putting together an experiment. Well, maybe not a complete experiment; I do know what is going to happen. The experiment is going to tell me if I like what I am doing. 
I like hand painted wool top or sliver to spin with. Usually I spin fractally, to create interesting patterns in the colour shifts of the yarn. Not this time. 
This is what my materials are for this one, I want to call neopolitan. 

I have my hand carders, a hand-painted sliver of blue faced Leicester, and some local alpaca. I have split the BFL in half lengthwise, and for each one I apply in order onto the hand carders, alternated with the alpaca. Then I card each section and place the rolags in order into baggies (they have to stay in order). I spun the rolags that I created with extra twist,  using my drop spindle. 
This is a shot of the first one all spun up, and me transferring the result to the paint roller foam thing. (I use these rollers while I ply the yarn because I don't have a lazy kate - paint roller works great!  I have used up to three at a time with no issues). I will be Navajo plying these, and making 2 similar looking skeins with about the same colour progressions. That is the experiment- can I get it close to being right? I would like for the result to be turned into mittens, so the two skeins will end up being 35-40oz each. I hope. 
I'll let you know how it goes for the next step, which is plying!

No comments:

Post a Comment