Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Blueberry rake

I am on a mission. I am going to attempt to DIY all tools needed for preparing fibre.  Why, you might ask?  Because to buy hand carders or combs or a hackle or a spinning wheel, you must be rich or a good business person who can write off such tools of the trade. For me, as a person who loves hobbies, I find it expensive and unnecessary. But also necessary. Which is it, make up your mind, you are asking?  Well the tools are necessary if I wish to take this hobby which I love, to a new more artistic level. Spending a lot of money?  No. So, I am going to attempt this, and you will follow me along.  Right?  Uh.  Please?

Tonight, I made this...
A teeny bit of blueberry rake blended fibre. I have wanted to try my own custom blend of colour and fibre, and have done this with the trick of pseudo rolags, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the consistency, especially when I used various fibre types. Sooooo, I have been looking at plans and photos of hackles and combs. I bought the nails today to make my own, then I thought of the blueberry rake!  It worked great!  Well, it could have been greater, but the the rake was rusty, and my fibre stuck to the rust on the times.  That meant I wasted a bit.  Anyway, I spun what I blended, and plied it with an angora single I had laying around.  If I can find a non-rusty blueberry rake I will better document what I did.  In the meantime, I am still going to build my own "proper" set!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment