Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Sweater Fretter

A completed sweater eludes me. I can feel the need to make a sweater, I want to make a sweater! I like to sew and knit and create things to wear. My body does not fit into a lot of clothes in the store (because I'm tall...yeah, because I'm tall), and sweaters are one of those things that is hard to find, and I *should* make myself.  It's to do with the length and shaping. Everything that fits around is too short. Arms too short, waist shaping does not sit on my waist, the sweater isn't long enough. I have, therefore, been dreaming about making a sweater.

What has prevented this from happening all these years?

Fear of a large project: I work full time and have 5 kids at home, and frankly, I don't have a lot of time to be crafty, and I think I should be able to dedicate enough spare time in a row to making a sweater. Otherwise, it would go out of style by the time I get it done.

Finding the perfect yarn: Look, if I am going to dish out $$ to buy enough yarn to make a sweater, I want it to be suitable and nice and "me". What is "me"? I like colour, but not in an overbearing way. Sometimes I repress my love of colour and wear black, or brown, or grey. So, why not a black sweater? Because I would be completely bored.  In my knitting, there is always colour!

First project charm fail:  OK, I do know enough about knitting that I can follow any pattern and have the results turn out OK.  But I usually make "enhancements" or modifications so that I am most comfortable.  This means that the second time I make something, the object turns out better than the first.  Can I commit to making TWO sweaters, just so I can have a sweater that I like?

OK.

How can I change my thinking to be more positive?  Here's my self talk:

"Quit your job, you fool.  You will have way more time for knitting and spinning and being who you really are!"
"Spin the yarn you want to have for the project, then it will be exactly like you want it"
"Pay attention, this is your sweater, don't screw up!"

Alright, alright, I am not going to quit my job...(eyes to the left and up, index finger tapping chin, a barely audible "hmmm" coming from my throat).  But!  I did start to spin the yarn for my sweater.  It is mostly neutral with hints of colour coming from it.  I did a few swatches of different weights and different plying techniques and I found exactly what I am imagining.
Here is the first skein I spun for my sweater.  It is worsted drawn, 2 ply wool blend with mohair and soybean.  One single is a natural wool with a hint of a turquoisey colour and and the second is crazy greens and yellow with some natural undyed wool. 

Here is what is in my bag right now, I am spinning the turquoise.
I am so excited that I am actually going to do this!  I still have a lot more spinning to do, but it goes by quickly. 

All of my ducks are in a row...
Now...what to choose as my pattern?


No comments:

Post a Comment